There is nothing worse than a bad recipe. Not only is it an overall disappointment, but also a waste of time and ingredients.
Thousands of people claim to have the “best ever banana bread recipe” or the “best blueberry muffins ever”… but which is really the best?
Is it the one on All Recipes with thousands of five-star ratings? Is it the one derived by a famous Food Network Star? Is it the one clipped from the back of an old church cookbook? Is it the one your next door neighbor made up?
I am setting out to find out which are the best of the best.
Here is how it’s going to work:
- I am going to pick three highly-rated recipes.
- I am going to bake a half-batch of each recipe.
- I am going to do a blind taste test on my mom, my dad, my friends, and anyone else who looks like they want to try a baked good.
- I am going to take detailed notes during each taste test.
- (Hopefully) the results will come to a common consensus.
- I will do a blog post including: links to the recipes that I tried, notes on each of the recipes, photographs and the full recipe for the overall winner.
And now for the twist…
You can challenge me to a “recipe showdown.” Let’s say that I claim to have made the best coffee cake in town, but you know that your grandma’s recipe is far better.
- E-mail me your recipe
- I will make it alongside the previous “winner” and we will see which ranks supreme in the taste tests.
It’s kind of like Bobby Flay’s Show.
I hope this new series will help you all narrow down the recipes that are really worth your time. The first showdown is going to be chocolate chip cookies. I am putting America’s Test Kitchen’s Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies against Jacques Torres’s Secret Chocolate Chip Cookies.
May the best cookie win.